“Summer fades and passes and October comes. We’ll smell smoke then, and feel an unexpected sharpness, a thrill of nervousness, swift elation, a sense of sadness and departure.“
- Thomas Wolfe, ‘You Can’t Go Home Again’, 1947
Hmmmm…wondering why you haven’t heard from us in a bit? Well, we haven’t closed, or moved or taken a sabbatical. Yes, there has been an awfully long (& awkward) gap in newsletters, so we do apologize. We are still here, working away, trying to make the Depot the best, friendliest garden center in central Oregon. So, thanks for hanging in there with us!
Now onto our plans for this fall + winter…
– Our regular schedule: Tues-Sat. 9-5, Sun 10-3 continues until November 11th.
Then after a short break, we’ll resume with a Weekend Holiday schedule starting Saturday, November 25th: open Fr-Sa-Su, 10-4, through December 23rd. We’ll be offering our cute live Christmas trees, home made wreaths, and other Holiday gifts + goodies in our store.
(Of course, if you desperately need some bark, plants or other garden essential, contact us via phone or email and we’ll reply to you as we will be here working off and on and are happy to help if we can.)
- Our Fall Plant Sale continues until Sat. Nov. 11th. It’s a ‘progressive’ sale, so the more you purchase, the higher the discount! And yes! Any plant we stock + overwinter outside can definitely be planted now IF: the ground is still loose + you can ensure watering during long cold, dry spells. That’s it!
- Landscape consulting and design. During the year we receive many requests for designing new landscapes or re-designing existing ones. Unfortunately, due to the workload in our spring + summer season, our designer, Karen McCarthy is too time starved to commit to much beyond onsite consulting. During the winter and early spring she does take on more involved work, so contact her now if you have a project in mind.
- Finally, if you have any special requests: a plant you just have to have, or a certain species of live Christmas tree you are looking for, or need 3 matching Holiday wreaths to be shipped out to friends and family across the country, let us know as we always have our feelers out with our growers and suppliers, and are happy to add on to a main order for you.
Fall Events & Classes
Sat. November 4 th
Fall Grapevine Wreaths & More 11 am-12:30 pm
Create a unique grapevine wreath that can transition through the holidays and beyond with the addition of seasonal ornaments and greenery. We’ll provide all of the grapevines (grow here in Jefferson county!) and other “green” materials such as berries, colored leaves etc. needed. Please feel free to bring any materials, decorations or bows collected from your garden that you would like to incorporate. If you have you own clippers, brig those too.
Cost is $40 for adults, $25 kids (ages 8 -16) and includes warm refreshments. You can get tickets online for the class via Eventbrite (copy & paste) https://tinyurl.com/GrapevineWreaths
Saturday Nov 11th
A Fall Frolic ~ Holiday Preview & Tasting Party!
Say goodbye to Summer and embrace the cooler weather at our ’Fall Frolic’ from 1 to 4:30 pm Saturday, Nov 11th. Along with seasonally inspired appetizers & drinks, the festivities will include gift bags + a Door Prize, huge markdowns on Fall Bulbs, tasting samples of apple and pear varieties we stock, new garden themed gifts made in Oregon, and a preview of our hardy “live” Christmas trees, seasonal wreaths and interior plants … And more to come!
And finally…Hooray for good friends, great employees, sun and calm winds on Sunday, October 8th. They all did their part in allowing Madras Garden Depot to replace the hail damaged plastic with a new double layer of 6 mil anti-condensate greenhouse film, sourced from a new local greenhouse company in Bend, Central Oregon Greenhouse Supply.