Take 25% off all of our evergreen holiday trees & wreaths, 30% off all glass & vintage Ornaments, 50% off all indoor holiday plants and Tillandsia (air plants) ✿…..WE CLOSE FOR THE SEASON ON FRIDAY DEC. 23rd* — hurry in! *(However, please contact us if you need to stop in earlier/later in the day, or Sat. Dec. 24th, Christmas Eve, we’ll be happy to accommodate).
Are you ready for a “living” Christmas tree? Some of the symptoms might be:
- A strong aversion to retrieving the artificial tree stored in a dusty shroud of assorted plastic bags in the attic, or horrors! high up in the garage rafters. This symptom can also be combined with:
- Sudden fatigue from thinking about trying to re-assemble the correct “branch” into the correct hole in the metal tree “trunk”. (Can also include minor scratching to face and arms from unyielding bits of spiky plastic and metal from said “tree”.)
- Mental weakness brought on from extreme troubleshooting of “pre-lit” features of some artificial tree varieties.
- Fear of losing control or going crazy from having to rescue a toppled artificial (or cut) tree due to the antics of cooped up & curious household pets.
- Depression from paying upwards of a week’s worth of groceries for a lovely cut tree, coiffed to solid green perfection. (Note: a special technique called “laying-on” must be used for ornament placement due to density of sheared foliage.) Patient soon realizes that in less than 3 weeks the cut tree will be relegated to the bowels of the garbage truck tossed into a bin at the landfill site, or onto the burn pile…. This is simply too depressing for some family members to have to cope with.
We have a broad selection of live Christmas trees, including a species that is especially attractive and can be somewhat hard to find, the ‘Chief Joseph’ Lodgepole Pine (Pinus contorta var. latifolia ‘Chief Joseph’. This is a dwarf conifer whose needles are a medium green in the summer, but change to a glowing yellow during the winter. How’s that for a splash of color in your winter garden? Come Spring, the needles turn green again.
Very slow-growing, ‘Chief Joseph’ ‘ averages about 2” to 4” each year. After 10-12 years it will probably be about six feet tall. This is a good tree for a small yard or an empty spot that needs a year ’round focal point. Culturally this tree needs well-drained soil (preferably planted in a berm) and full sun for the best winter color, but it will tolerate some shade at the expense of the bright yellow color. Hardy to -30°, zone 4
Our live tree inventory includes:
Norway, Golden Spanish, Nordmann, Subalpine and Turkish Firs
Austrian, Bosnian, Ponderosa, Scotch, Vanderwolf and White pines
Boxwood, Lemon Cypress (indoor only), Columnar Juniper….
Other Holiday plants & gifts inside the store….
Handmade wreaths (we take custom orders as well!), blooming Poinsettia, colorful & fragrant Cyclamen (perfect for a cool room or windowsill), 4 colors of Christmas Cacus, Tillandsia air plants, potted Amaryllis, ‘forced’ narcissus and hyacinth bulbs in vintage glass vessels, and a lovely selection of vintage glass ornaments (such as the bluebird and mushroom pictured below)!
Come visit our booth!
@ the Madras Saturday Market Holiday Market, 2 days!!
When you decide to ignore the cold fog do some Holiday shopping, consider a visit our nursery where you will find a nice assortment of indoor flowering plants such as cool-weather loving Cyclamen and Zygo (Christmas) cactus & Rabbit’s Foot Fern to bring on Holiday cheer!
There is also a small group of hanging glass mini-terrariums containing little air-plants called ‘Tillandsias’ starting at $12.
Unusual varieties of winter-blooming Amaryllis are getting ready to bloom in a warm room and are available potted in various clay pots starting at $15 Pointsettias will arrive soon on Dec. 8th!
We just set out the fresh-cut Noble Fir Christmas trees. These are “naturally grown” trees (un-sheared & un-sprayed) that have been hand selected by us from 2 family farms in Oregon City & Boring. Want a tree to really show off your ornament collection? These are the real ‘old fashioned’ trees! Prices start at just $8.00 for a table top sized tree!
And on the wreath theme…Our handmade wreaths composed of (legally) hand collected greens from the forest are now available as we make them here inside the store. Know that they can be made up “just for you” by special order…please contact us soon to find out more & get on the wreath list!
- Vintage lockets made by Verabel, each one different and unusual starting at $36
- Made in Madras: earrings and necklaces of semi precious beads and crystals starting at just $10
- One of a kind Enamel Bluebird pins by illustrator Elizabeth Graeber to make anyone happy, $10
We have also added a line of artisanal soaps made in small batches with all natural ingredients and scents by a great little company, Three Sisters Apothacary. We picked our order up in person and had a nice chat with the owner about the trials, tribulations & joys of operating a small business. For something different , included in the offerings are 2 different kinds of shampoo bars for dogs!
On Saturday Dec.12th, we will once again be participating as vendors at the Madras Saturday Christmas Market being held indoors from 9 am-4 pm at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. All of the vendors are truly local, so please support YOUR local economy by doing a little or a lot of shopping at the Market, and please come ‘bye & say “hello” to our booth.
Please tell your friends and neighbors, thanks!
There have been at least 2 “good” frosts reaching down to 25° over the past 8 days – brrrr! In plant-geek technical terms this is referred to as a “killing frost” and if you have plants that are on the tender side, i.e. dahlias, tuberous begonias or some of the less hardy gladiolas, or any annuals you’d like to overwinter indoors, now is the time to dig them up and move ‘em in.
The first freezes really doesn’t severely damage the roots and growth potential, but it will burn back much of the excess top growth, which ‘bye this time for many plants, was looking pretty tired before the freeze. We like to lift & save many of the fancier begonias, geraniums and hardy fuchsias that we appreciate and have spent good money for. Here’s what we do:
We bring them in the potting area, take them out of their pots, cut back all but about 1/3 of the plant, divide & root prune if called for and re-pot them in fresh potting soil, adding in only about 1/2 of the usual slow release fertilizer into the soil. After watering them in, we then either wrap them in about 3 loose layers of frost fabric and place on an upper shelf in our unheated greenhouse, or if really tender, they will travel to one of our attics with windows, to sit in a cool but sunny location for the winter. Over the next 4 1/2 months they’ll only getting a few sips of water and some pot rotation so any growth stays more uniform.
In spring, when the night time temps are reaching just over 38°, we’ll bring them out of their winter hibernation into our greenhouse for more light and observation, only watering if really necessary. Once the new growth starts appearing, then we water and again lightly fertilize, and they’re back to being beauties again!
Soon, (hopefully ‘bye Nov 14th), our Amaryllis bulbs will arrive @ the nursery! They are top size commercially available bulbs (much larger than what is generally seen at retail stores). Our Amaryllis deliver a sensational winter display, most with 2 stems or more bearing up to 4 blooms each. The bulbs have been conditioned at the proper temperature to bloom in about 8-9 weeks after planting in your home. Our staff will coach you on how to care for them before and after blooming so you can get years of enjoyment from your Amaryllis. To differentiate ourselves from what is typically offered at a box store, we are stocking some new and unusual types of Amaryllis, sold pre-planted in our decorative containers or just as bulbs. To help with your gifting needs, know that we can help fulfill requests for larger orders if you contact us before Nov. 23rd.
- ‘Rapido Red’ – This mighty miniature has many extravagant deep red blooms per stem, on stems about 16″. Perfect for a smaller space. It is noted as a prolific bloomer.
- ‘Jewel Double’ – Fragrant! Exquisite is a perfect description for this variety. Its pure-white, double blooms glow with the luster of pearls and possess a rare light, sweet fragrance, unusual to Amaryllis. Stems are full size, to 26″ tall.
- ‘La Paz’ – The narrow, ‘spidery’ petals of ‘La Paz’ have red and green stripes that lead your eye right to the center of its striking blooms. This is a new type of ‘Cybister’ Amaryllis, often produces three stems per bulb reaching about 24″.
Coming (Holiday) attractions!
Our Holiday offerings at the Madras Garden Depot start this weekend, Nov. 14th!
- Holiday Wreath-making workshop: Bring your friends & hop up to the Garden Depot for a morning of fun creating your own gorgeous holiday evergreen or mixed wreath. We provide a mix of boughs, twigs, cones, moss, vines, seasonal berries, frames, ribbon and guidance. Feel free to bring any embellishments or greenery, or add one of our glass bird ornaments to suit your taste or décor. Refreshments served. (Note: if you have them, please bring gloves, pruners and needle nose pliers). This class fills up fast, so sign up now & save the date! $30
- Well be expanding our conifer inventory with unusual “living” Christmas trees that you can plant outside after the Holidays. Conifers such as Baby Blue, Siberian & Norway Spruce, Vanderwulf Limber and Bosnian pines and Arizona ‘Corkbark’ sub-alpine firs to name a few. In the greenhouse you will find a nice assortment of indoor flowering plants such as cool-weather loving Cyclamen and Zygo (Christmas) cactus to bring on Holiday cheer!
- The day after Thanksgiving, Nov. 27th we’ll start our cut tree sales. Again, we’ll offer “naturally grown” Noble Fir trees (un-sheared & un-sprayed) that have been hand selected by us from 2 family farms in Oregon City & Boring. Want a tree to really show off your ornament collection? These are the real deal! Prices start at just $15.00
- And on the wreath theme…A few handmade wreaths will be available after Nov 15th & can also be made up “just for you” by special order…please contact us soon to find out more & get “on the list”!
Please note: we are open through Dec. 24th, 9-5 Monday-Saturday & 11-2 Sunday’s, as weather permits!